The Nun - YouTube Ads
The Nun is a horror movie that came out in September 2018.
The ads would lure the user into a false sense of security, by doing one of the following:
- A few seconds of a volume icon going up and down (much like MacOS/iOS) for a few seconds, to trick the user into thinking it's an advert by Apple, before The Nun pops up with an incredibly loud scream.
- A fake buffering logo, to trick the user into thinking the ad is struggling to load, then The Nun, featuring Valak pops up with a loud scream.
- Nothing about 5 seconds, then The Nun pops up along with a loud scream.
- A spinning ball, much like the "Beach ball of death" found on Apple Macs.
- Fades into a hall, then slowly moves down the room, a bell tolls, then The Nun pops up.
On August 15th, 2018, after many users' complaints, YouTube pulled the ads from their site for containing "shocking content".
Other users claim a very similar ad is on Instagram & Snapchat, but rather than being one of the aforementioned ads, it's a flashing warning sign.
NOTE: The following links contains screamers!
- The video is 4 seconds long, so be warned! youtube.com/watch?v=N436v51QBkk
- Official YouTube's statement regarding the ad: https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1029185298524123137 •